this is a page for

Problem Solving

The Problem:/The Solution May be specific as a sewing situation or general as a life issue.

Don’t be saying “C’est la Cotton-Pickin’ Vie”

Where did my 2016 blog posts go?

I’d hate for you to be sorry you missed out on a year’s worth of GREAT information so I’m encouraging you to subscribe free to my One Stitch Saves Nine  website to get some of these embedded treasures before they disappear!

I tried to recover, restore, and reconstruct my sewing adventures for that year. I tried to remember the hacks for a thriving handmade life that I’d included. Despite those efforts, it seems I’ve just lost a year’s worth of posts.

But I haven’t let cancer, mental illness or weak coffee spoil my day and I’m not going to cry over a few hours of writing time lost in cyberspace.

C’est la cotton-pickin’ vie, my mom would have said.  Let’s just pick up where we left off, shall we?




Zero Waste

Google Zero Waste clothing. There’s a ton of stuff out there, right? “Zero waste clothing” is a subset of the sustainable clothing movement referring specifically to clothing manufactured with no waste.

How nice of Joost de Cock, pattern maker and philanthropist, to make this simple version available to anyone, anytime, any where at And at no cost! He calls it the Tokyo Top and you must just go to his fabulous website to learn more and make one for yourself.

I prance about the house feeling frisky in this slinky red ankle-length version.  I also made one in a bright yellow jersey, which I use for a bathing suit coverup.

Only a small sliver of fabric is cut from this clever take on a large folded rectangle. As soon as I saw the sliver I knew it could be fashioned into an embellishment. So each of my Tokyo Tops has a jaunty flower on the shoulder. Hope you love yours as much as I do mine. Don’t forget to buy Joost a cup of coffee by donating to his site when you get there.

Election Day project

After I voted, here’s what I workied on: New Look pattern A6306 includes a view featuring decorative buttons .  It was a no-brainer to use this trim little classic vest as a a  stashbuster for my collection. Delicious chocolately brown satin for the lining and back will make for a neutral yet tactile piece that I’ll wear a lot!

I cut, lined and sewed the buttons on the vest before Election Day and finished up just in time to do my civic duty.

Hand-sewing 33 buttons was the hardest part of this easy pattern.

Next, I invite you to visit a wonderful blog  at 

She’s got great ideas on how to get your wardrobe working for you!

Just realized I never got a finished view posted here. Ta-da! Craft as Therapy Button Vest CroppedThis is where I either go into a long blather about all the mistakes I made or just shut up and let you enjoy the peek! The sequin-collar chiffon blouse came from Lane Bryant.

Bedside Caddy

Yuk. It was faded into a particularly putrid shade but the towel was still thick and serviceable. So I figured out a way to hide it: Under the bed!

Bedside caddies provide a place to store things within easy reach when you’re lounging in bed. The internet crawls with patterns and ideas and I browsed quite a few before coming up with the right design for my needs, which incorporated the old pink towel as the part that goes under the bed. I measured my favorite magazine and made the big flat pocket that size. I usually have pins and barrettes to pull out of my hair so I made a small elasticized pocket to hold them. I also like to have a pad of paper and a pen to document brilliant nightime inspirations so I placed a smaller flat pocket under the elasticized one for that purpose.

I used really cheap yardage in three  complementary designs that pulled in the earthtones of our bedroom and added a pink plaid element that I was drawn to. Since the fabric was flimsy, I lined ironed on Pellon medium weight interfacing to most of the pieces before I started.Craft as Therapy 001

Make one yourself and send me a picture! I’d love to know someone else was inspired.Craft as Therapy 002

One Man's Trash

The wastebasket  from my daughter’s preteen bedroom , resplendent with pink and purple flowers, had long ago outlived its attraction, if not its usefulness. So I overlapped inch-square tiles of art paper from the bottom to the top of the plastic bucket  using  Mod Podge as an adhesive.  Then I lined the inside with the paper tiles and coated the project with several layers of Mod Podge.

Saved that one from the landfill!

This is a demo store for testing purposes; no orders shall be fulfilled. Call Tracy at 765/580-1342 for further information. Dismiss